Alcohol and Other Drug Prevention and Educational Services


Frequently Asked Questions


Does Substance Abuse Services provide the services I need to fulfill court mandated requirements?

In some cases, yes, but not always. Call or email Substance Abuse Services for eligibility criteria.

I was arrested for an alcohol or other drug related offense. What’s going to happen to me now?

Check out the law and policy page on our site for helpful information. Substance Abuse Services cannot provide legal advice, but can recommend you get in touch with either a family attorney, if that’s an option for you, or you can request the assistance of a public defender.

Contact information for a local public defender is:

304 First National Building
607 Sycamore Street
Waterloo, IA 50703-4725
Chief: David Staudt.
Tel: (319) 291-2535
Fax: (319) 291-2123

I got in trouble in the Residence Halls or on-campus for drinking. What happens now?

You’ll hear from a Student Conduct Administrator (either a Residence Life Coordinator, or member of the Dean of Students office) very soon. Check out the law and policy page on our site for helpful information. For Residence Hall process specific information, please visit and for the Student Conduct Code, please visit

I’m worried about a friend who I think drinks too much. I’m not sure what to do.

Your friend is fortunate to have YOU as a friend. You’ll find helpful information on our getting help page. Please feel free to contact Substance Abuse Services for a consultation on how you can best help your friend, or if you’d just like to talk with someone about your concerns.

What is BASICS?

BASICS (Brief Alcohol Screening and Intervention of College Students) is a harm reduction approach regarding drinking. It was specifically developed for use with college students. After completing a confidential questionnaire about your drinking, program staff will develop a personalized feedback profile. The profile includes myths about alcohol’s effects, facts on alcohol norms, ways to reduce future risks associated with alcohol use, and a menu of options to assist in making any desired changes.

If you would like to participate in BASICS or obtain further information, please contact Substance Abuse Services.

What is Prime for Life?

Prime for Life is an extensive, 12-hour program that focuses on individual drinking choices. You will learn about the amount and frequency of drinking that is considered low-risk, and learn how a family history of addiction increases your risk for alcoholism. The course also introduces signs of a drinking problem and highlights substance abuse resources that are available on and off campus.

You will also complete a self-assessment of your drinking and learn where you can access a more in-depth substance abuse evaluation. The course also thoroughly addresses driving under the influence. This course is provided by:

    • Hawkeye Community College (319-296-2460)
    • Pathways Behavioral Services (319-235-6571)
  • Cedar Valley Recovery Services (319-277-5808)

Please phone these programs directly to obtain a class schedule and/or to register for the class.

I’m worried about how my drinking is impacting my life. What should I do?

If you are wondering whether you drink too much, we invite you to complete this free, anonymous questionnaire about your alcohol consumption. In only a few minutes, you can get personalized feedback that will help you decide whether or not a consultation with a campus health professional would be helpful to you.

If you’d like to set-up a consultation with a Substance Abuse Services Staff member, please call (319) 273-3423.

Are there self-help resources available on-campus?

Absolutely! The Wellness Resource Lab, located on the 1st floor of the Wellness Recreation Center in Room 104, has many free pamphlets on a variety of health and wellness topics.

What Substance Abuse resources are available to me?

Please check-out this helpful listing of substance abuse resources.

What’s the Good Samaritan Provision?

Students who seek medical assistance for themselves or another person due to intoxication of alcohol and/or drugs will not be subject to university disciplinary action, except when it has been determined that another violation of university policy has occurred (for example destruction of university property; fire safety violation; physical harm to another person, etc.). This includes an alleged victim of sexual misconduct or another student who shares information as either a witness to or as a reporter of sexual misconduct as long as the report is made in good faith. In order for this policy to apply, the student must agree to complete any and all recommended educational programming or other treatment recommended by the Dean of Students or a Student Conduct Administrator.

Examples where this policy would apply include:

  1. A student is reluctant to call an ambulance when a friend becomes unconscious following excessive consumption of alcohol because the reporting student is under the age of 21 and was also consuming alcohol.
  2. A student is reluctant to report that he/she has been sexually assaulted because he/she had been consuming alcohol and is under the age of 21.

Any exemption from disciplinary action granted under this policy may only apply to disciplinary action and/or sanctions under the Student Conduct Code and does not apply to any criminal action taken by law enforcement, such as issuing a citation or making an arrest.

While this policy applies to individual students, if an organization has been found in violation of the Student Conduct Code, then the organization’s willingness to seek medical assistance for a guest may be viewed as a mitigating factor if or when sanctions are issued.

The complete Student Conduct Code is available at

What’s Marijuana e-Checkup To Go?

Marijuana e-Checkup To Go is designed to give you personalized feedback on your marijuana use. Answering each question truthfully and accurately will give you helpful feedback regarding your individual pattern of marijuana use and how it might be affecting your personal relationships, life and career goals, and your overall health and wellbeing.
Your answers are STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL. Your name is not attached to this form and no personally identifiable information from this survey will be stored.

Can I get help on-campus to quit smoking?

Contact Shawna Haislet, (319) 273-6119, for a personal consultation to help you develop a plan with strategies for quitting.

What’s really considered “one drink?”

“One drink” means either one 12-ounce beer, one 5-ounce glass of wine or a mixed drink that contains 1.5 ounces of liquor. By keeping the pace to one drink per hour, your alcohol intake will not exceed your body’s ability to metabolize the alcohol.*